What does reciprocityor license transfer means?

If you want to work as a cosmetologist, you first must be licensed by the state that you want to practice in. If you relocate to different state, then you will need another license. While almost every state has some form of cosmetology license, every state has it’s own cosmetology laws and requirements. In addition to this, they also have their own reciprocity rules, transfer regulations, renewal schedules, fees and continuing education requirements. This can get very complicated with having 50 different sets of rules for barbers, nail technicians and makeup artists However, there are two options available that make it possible for cosmetologists to transfer their credentials to different states.

Cosmetology Reciprocity Transfers

Cosmetology license reciprocity refers to when another state allows you to work under the license of your current state. For example, if you live in New York and move to California, you may be able to keep your New York license and legally practice in California. However, reciprocity often depends on whether the two states have equivalent licensing requirements. States have official reciprocity relationships with certain states because they’ve established that their exam and education requirements are similar.

How it Works

Most states have a simple process to obtain reciprocity. You simply submit your application to the new state board, have your old state send proof of license and wait for the acceptance letter. For example, Texas offers reciprocity from almost every state (except 9) through this simple process.

Cosmetology License Transfers

Cosmetology license transfer is when another state allows you to legally perform cosmetology services. You will most likely be required to submit proof of license, board exam or completed training hours. In addition to this, the new state may have higher standards which require you to complete additional classroom training. For example, Texas currently accepts cosmetology operator license transfers from Alaska to Wyoming (a total of 37 different states). However, they only transfer manicurist licenses from 7 states.

How it Works

First, contact the cosmetology state board where you want to work and confirm if they accept license transfers. If they do, confirm if additional training is required. Submit your completed application with official school transcript. You must also have the board of cosmetology from your old state mail an official license to the new state’s board of cosmetology.