Cosmetology is an excellent field for those that enjoy working with people and being creative. The beauty industry is rapidly growing and now is a great time to get involved. Fortunately, there are many cosmetology programs in Nebraska that prepare students to take the Nebraska State Board Examination to become a licensed cosmetologist.
Find Accredited Beauty Schools in Nebraska
You can find other options through our sponsored listings below!
median earnings per week than workers with only a high school diploma*.
Nebraska offers a number of cosmetology programs across the state. There are several methods to find a qualified beauty program, however the National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts & Sciences and the Open Education Database are among some of best resources for locating an accredited institution. Both of these organizations have easy to use websites where potential students can search for schools or confirm the accreditation for the school of their interest. The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services also provides detailed information on licensing and regulations for potential cosmetology professionals.
Job Demand for Cosmetologists in Nebraska
Given the state’s increasing population, the demand for cosmetologist is on the rise. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the need for beauty workers will increase by 14 percent through the year 2020. Current trends in economic growth also suggest that the demand for personal appearance workers in Nebraska is growing. Major cities such as Lincoln, Omaha, Kearney, Grand Island, and Scottsbluff are the top places for job growth in the state.
Cosmetology and Beauty Salary ranges in Nebraska
According to the United States Department of Labor, the average earnings for hairdressers, hairstylists and cosmetologists in Nebraska is between $25,270 and $26,570 annually. The typical salary for nail technicians is $18,600 annually, while Estheticians have a mean annual salary of $31,030. These amounts can be increased through tips and commissions by building good client relationships and delivering above average service. The highest paid jobs range from $38,300 – $43,900 and are most often obtained in upscale salons in Lincoln and Omaha, though not exclusive to those cities.
List of Top Beauty and Cosmetology Programs in Nebraska
- Joseph’s College is the largest college system in Nebraska for cosmetology with seven campuses across the state. Campus locations include: Beatrice, Grand Island, Kearney, Lincoln, Hastings, Norfolk, and North Platte. In addition to multiple class locations, they also offer several scholarship opportunities and financial aid options for those who qualify.
- Fullen School of Hair Design in Scottsbluff offers degrees for all aspects of cosmetology. They also offer training for current cosmetologist to become instructors.
- College of Hair Design has a convenient location in Lincoln and is a well-known for their upscale programs for barber arts, esthetics, and cosmetology. Graduates are known to obtain sought after jobs within the city of Lincoln.
- McCook Beauty Academy in McCook was founded in 1952 and is the oldest beauty institution in Nebraska. The academy has training for beginners and on site salon practice for its senior students.
- La’James International College in Fremont has a multitude of programs from hair design to nail technician. They also have grants to qualified students.
You may want also to check the following Cosmetology Schools: