Cosmetologists in Alabama are industry leaders in beauty trends and styles. In programs across the state, cosmetology students learn to cut, color and style hair, do manicures and nail art, apply classic or creative makeup, and some basics of esthetics and skin care. Safety and sanitation are also an important part of state cosmetology training.
Find Accredited Beauty Schools in Alabama
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Cosmetology - Diploma
- Esthetics - Diploma
The average cosmetologist salary in Alabama is about $19,860, and ranging from $16,130 to $34,360 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Figures show that Birmingham-Hoover is one of the top paying metropolitan areas in the country. The BLS estimates that job demand will grow by 14 percent through the year 2020.
Job Demand for Cosmetologists in Alabama
In order to obtain a license in Alabama, students must be at least 16 years of age and have a 10th grade education. To get a license, applicants must complete the state’s required training hours and then take and pass the written and practical exams. PSI provides the written exam and PCS the practical exam for Alabama, which only allows the exams to be taken in English.
- Cosmetologist License: 1500 Hours (3000 Apprenticeship)
- Esthetician license: 1500 Hours (3000 Apprenticeship)
- Nail technician license: 600 Hours (1200 Apprenticeship)
- Cosmetology instructor license: 3000 Hours
- Massage therapist license: 650 Hours
Renewal. Cosmetology licenses must be renewed every two years in odd years in the applicant’s birthday month. If the license is expired for 3 or more years, the applicant must re-take the practical exam. The cost is $80 to renew on time, or $130 if it is late.To renew an Alabama cosmetology license, the following items are needed:
- Renewal form
- Proof of continuing education hours
- Copy of current driver’s license
- 2×2 passport-style color photo
Cosmetology and Beautician Salary Ranges in Alabama
Depending on training, testing and length of licensure, the Alabama Cosmetology Board may accept a license from another state to qualify for an Alabama license. Applicants must request their certification be sent to the Alabama Cosmetology Board from their state.
List of Top Beauty and Cosmetology Programs in Alabama
- Virginia College, Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile – 2 cosmetology majors. Associate’s degrees, bachelor’s degrees, and master’s degrees are offered. Excellent retention rate.
- Blue Cliff Career College, Mobile – 3 cosmetology majors. Great student retention rate.
- University Academy of Hair Design, Northport – 4 cosmetology majors. Outstanding retention rate.
- Remington College, Mobile – Associate’s degrees are available. Around 600 students are enrolled.
- George C Wallace State Community College, Hanceville, Selma, Dothan – Associate’s degrees. Cheap on-campus housing option.
- J F Ingram State Technical College, Deatsville – Associate’s degrees are available. On-campus housing option.
- Bevill State Community College, Jasper – 2 cosmetology majors. Associate’s degrees. Cheap on-campus housing option.
- John C Calhoun State Community College, Tanner – 3 cosmetology majors. Associate’s degrees.
- Northwest Shoals Community College, Muscle Shoals – 2 cosmetology majors. Associate’s degrees are available. Inexpensive tuition costs. Cheap on-campus housing.
- Central Alabama Community College, Alexander City – Associate’s degrees are offered. Affordable tuition rates.
You may want also to check the following Cosmetology Schools:
More Cosmetology Schools in Alabama
|Blue Cliff Career College||2970 Cottage Hill Rd #175, Mobile, AL 36606||http://www.blue.edu/|
|University Academy of Hair Design||3400 McFarland Blvd, Northport, AL 35473||http://uahairdesign.com|
|Remington College - Mobile Campus||828 Downtowner Loop W, Mobile, AL 36609||http://mobile.remingtoncollege.edu/|
|George C Wallace Community College||5565 Montgomery Hwy, Dothan, AL 36303||http://www.wallace.edu|
|J. F. Ingram State Technical College||Elmore County, AL||http://www.ingram.cc.al.us/|
|Bevill State Community College||101 State St, Sumiton, AL 35148||http://www.bscc.edu/|
|Calhoun Community College||6250 U.S. 31, Tanner, AL 35671||http://https://www.calhoun.edu/|
|Virginia College at Montgomery||6200 Atlanta Highway, Montgomery, AL 36117||http://www.vc.edu/campus/montgomery-alabama-college.cfm|
|Northwest Shoals Community College||800 George Wallace Blvd, Muscle Shoals, AL 35661||http://www.nwscc.edu/|