Cosmetology Schools in Jacksonville
If becoming a cosmetologist is a life-long dream, you’ve come to the right place to learn about the various cosmetology schools in Jacksonville. You’ll also learn about educational requirements, average cosmetology wages and career outlook for those in the cosmetology field.
Find Accredited Beauty Schools in Jacksonville
- Fortis trade schools will help you get the training you need for a successful education
- Degree offered across multiple campuses in Florida, Texas, Ohio & more
- All Fortis colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or others
- Includes training in computerized diagnostics to service & repair complex systems
- Be prepared for both office & hospital settings with the latest software systems
- Aesthetics Skincare
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
- Makeup Artistry and Skin Care
Finding an accredited beauty school in Jacksonville shouldn’t be all that hard since there are many either in or near the Jacksonville area. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there are seven accredited beauty schools in Jacksonville and several more within a 25-mile radius of the city. To become a cosmetologist or obtain instructor certification in Florida, you must complete an approved training program and pass the licensing exam through the Florida Board of Cosmetology.
The training combines cosmetology classes with hands-on training in a real salon. To meet the requirements set by the state, cosmetology and barber programs must be at least 1,200 hours while nail technician and esthetician programs must be 240 and 260 hours, respectively. Once you’ve completed the training, you can take the exam and apply for a license. To remain licensed, you must complete at least 16 hours of continue education credits.
Job Demand for Cosmetologists in Jacksonville
The demand for licensed cosmetologists and other beauty practitioners is very good in Jacksonville as well as the rest of the state. Florida was the fourth-highest state in the nation in terms of number of cosmetologists, hairdressers and hairstylists employed with almost 24,000 employed as of May 2013, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Florida also ranked third-highest in the nation for level of employment for skincare specialists with 2,480 employed in 2013. The BLS predicts cosmetologists and skincare specialists will see am employment growth of thirteen percent and forty percent, respectively, between 2012 and 2022.
Cosmetology and Beauty Salary Ranges in Jacksonville
There are a wide range of salaries for those working in the field of cosmetology in Jacksonville. While a licensed massage therapist in Jacksonville may earn only $20,000 annually, a cosmetologist esthetician wax specialist in Jacksonville may earn as much as $52,000. Indeed.com reported that the average annual salary for cosmetologists was $36,000 as of August 2014. Work experience, type of clientele, location and areas of specialty can all boost the earnings for a cosmetologist.
List of Top Beauty and Cosmetology Programs in Jacksonville
Here are a few of the beauty and cosmetology programs offered in Jacksonville schools. Degrees are seldom offered in cosmetology. Graduates typically earn certificates of completion or diplomas. You’ll also find the length of the program either in hours or months or both.
- Cosmetology Workforce certificate – 1 year – Florida State College at Jacksonville – Jacksonville, FL
- Cosmetology diploma – 44 weeks – Virginia College – Jacksonville, FL
- Cosmetology certificate – 1 year – Trendsetters School of Beauty & Barbering – Jacksonville, FL
- Cosmetology program – 1,200 hours – Jacksonville Beauty Institute – Jacksonville, FL
- Nail care technician program – 240 hours – Jacksonville Beauty Institute – Jacksonville, FL
- Skincare specialist program – 300 hours – Jacksonville Beauty Institute – Jacksonville, FL
- Skin and nail care specialist program – 600 hours – Jacksonville Beauty Institute – Jacksonville, FL
- Cosmetology program – 1 year -Shear Finesse Hairstyling Academy – Jacksonville, FL
You may want also to check the following Cosmetology Schools: