Cosmetology is a growing field that continues to be very popular in the Chicago area. If this sounds like a career that would interest you, continue reading to get the facts on how to become a cosmetology in Chicago as well as information on cosmetology schools in the greater Chicago area.
Find Accredited Beauty Schools in Chicago
Sorry, we could not find any matching schools
Cosmetology is a field that includes various related occupations such as cosmetologists, manicurists, estheticians, skincare specialists, hair stylists and hairdressers. To become a cosmetologist or obtain a beauty practitioner certification, you must complete an approved training program and pass the cosmetology licensing exam through the Illinois State Board of Cosmetology.
Once you complete the training and successfully pass the exam, you’ll receive your license, which is required to work as a cosmetologist in the state of Illinois. For a program to be approved by the board, it must meet the following requirements for training hours.
- Cosmetologist – 1,500 hours
- Esthetician – 750 hours
- Nail technician – 350 hours
- • Barber – 1,500 hours
Job Demand for Cosmetologists in Chicago
Cosmetologists continue to be in demand in Chicago, as well as other parts of the nation. Contributing to this growth is the aging population’s continued desire to look young and the variety of services offered in the field of cosmetology. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicted that cosmetologists, hair dressers and hair stylists would see a thirteen percent boost in employment between 2012 and 2022 while skincare specialists were projected to experience a growth of forty percent during that same period.
Cosmetology and Beauty Salary Ranges in Chicago
The average annual salaries for cosmetologists, hair dressers and hair stylists in Illinois were $23,140 as of May 2013, according to the BLS. The Chicago – Joliet – Naples metropolitan areas were the second-highest in the nation in terms of employment for this occupation.This metropolitan area had almost 12,000 of these professionals employed in 2013, and they earned a mean annual wage of $29,280. The bureau also reported that skincare specialists in the Chicago – Joliet – Naples metropolitan areas earned wages of almost $32,000 during 2013.
List of Top Beauty and Cosmetology Programs in Chicago
Aspiring cosmetologists have many beauty and cosmetology schools to choose from in Chicago nearby areas. Listed below are a few of the top schools as well as the schools location and if the program offers certificates, diplomas or degrees.
- Cosmetology Certificate – 1,500 hours (12 months) – Paul Mitchell The School – Chicago, IL
- Cosmetology Instructor – 1,000 hours (10 months) – Paul Mitchell The School – Chicago, IL
- Cosmetology Refresher – 250 hours (Couple months) – Paul Mitchell The School – Chicago, IL
- Cosmetology Program – 1,500 hours – Bell Mar Beauty College – Cicero, IL
- Cosmetology Certificate – 1,500 hours (50 weeks) – University of Aesthetics – Chicago, IL
- Aesthetics Certificate – 750 hours (26 weeks) – University of Aesthetics – Chicago, IL
- Cosmetology Advanced Certificate – 48 weeks – City Colleges of Chicago – Harry S. Truman – Chicago, IL
- Cosmetology certificate – 12 months – Aveda Institute – Chicago, IL
You may want also to check the following Cosmetology Schools: